Parramatta Street Youth Project
PSYP was initially a joint venture between Street Level and Anglicare. Through its efforts it established a street outreach project that is now run and funded by Anglicare. In 1991 famous Australian rock band Midnight Oil did a fundraiser during the Easter Show and funds raised kept this outreach to homeless youth going for four years until Anglicare offered to keep the project going when it ran out of funds.
This joint venture also established the Launch of Homeless Persons Week in Parramatta in conjunction with the originating committee from Sydney’s CBD.The launch combines in a festival style event an opportunity for homeless people, bikers, church people, politicians, welfare agencies and the general public to mix together while Anglicare runs an outreach street youth church service as part of the programme.
After Anglicare decided to focus on other activities St. John’s Anglican Cathedral and Parramatta Baptist joined as partners to develop other forms of Christian Ministry which now include training for local church groups, an annual conference plus the development of a concept for an accommodation project for homeless young people supported by local church congregations.
At present St.Johns Anglican Catherdral and Street Level Christian Community are members of PSYP.
Currently the aim and objectives of PSYP are:
The Parramatta Street Youth Project is committed to promoting and meeting the needs of homeless young people in Western Sydney. It will develop caring ministry opportunities for the joint venture partners and work with existing services and church groups. PSYP will then be able to support homeless young people both practically and relationally to bring about positive change in their lives as they move towards independent living.
- To develop programs that the meet the homeless at their point of need.
- To develop crisis accommodation for homeless young people.
- To develop longer term and stable supported accommodation for homeless young people.
- To link homeless young people with other agencies that can provide ongoing support.
- To support and resource Christian and other agencies working with the homeless.
- To create opportunities to promote the needs and value of those who are homeless in Sydney’s West.
- To publicly call for more funding to meet the needs of the homeless especially homeless young people.
- To develop practical and relational Christian ministry opportunities for local church groups amongst the homeless in Parramatta.
- To help address the spiritual needs of homeless young people through the Christian message of forgiveness, faith and love.
- To link homeless people that are interested with the support networks of local churches.
- To promote closer links between churches and agencies.
- To raise funds to meet the aims and objectives of PSYP.